In 2017, we did not have the option to link our numbers to our sim cards through online platforms and needed to visit the telecom operators store. Starting January 1, we can do not need to physically go to the Airtel store to link our Aadhar to our Airtel mobile numbers.
The Interactive voice response (IVR) method allows users to link their Aadhar to their mobile numbers through UIDAI's (Unique Identification Authority of India) consent provision using your registered mobile number. Please note that to avail this facility:
- You need to have your phone number registered with UIDAI.
- Your number needs be from the same state as your Aadhar address. (You have to visit the Airtel store if it is not the same)
- Call the toll-free number 14546.
- The IVR will ask your consent to verify your Aadhar through UIDAI under the Aadhaar Act, 2016.
- On receiving your consent, Airtel will send your number to UIDAI, and UIDAI will check your number's registration with them. An OTP (One Time Password) will be then sent to the registered number.
- Airtel will then ask for your consent in verifying personal details like name, date of birth, etc. Submit your OTP. The OTP will be treated as your signature for the consent.
- On receiving your details from UIDAI, the IVR will ask if you want to key-in any alternate numbers. Do so if any.
- A message of successful verification will be played.
- After 24 hours, you should receive a message seeking the confirmation of your details before they update or over-write any information. If you do not respond within 3 days, the verification will be considered positive.