There are instances were an individual has recently changed their residence and do not have any documentary proof for the new address. To make it easier for those facing this issue, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) now has an alternative to change Aadhaar card address online easily.
While the proof of residence of the certain individual is missing, the new facility allows Aadhaar holders to update address online with the help of their family members, friends or landlord.
With the help of an address validation letter, the Aadhaar address can be updated with the consent of an address verifier, who can be a relative, friend or landlord, who is willing to let you use their address as proof.
How to update Aadhaar address online?
- Visit the UIDAI website and request for a generation of Aadhaar validation letter.
- Your address verifier will get an SMS with a link to give consent for the update.
- On clicking the link, the address verifier will have to login with Aadhaar and an OTP will be generated. The OTP allows the friend, relative or landlord give consent for using their address as proof.
- An address validation letter with secret code will be sent to his or her address by post within the next 30 days.
- Once the secret code is received from your address verifier, go to the UIDAI website and click on 'Proceed to Update Address' link. The code will allow you to update the address.
- Note down the Update Request Number to track the progress of the address update.
- On approval of your request, you can download the e-Aadhaar online.
Valid documents for address update
Note that the following are accepted as proof of address (PoA) documents with name and address by the UIDAI:
- Bank Statement/ Passbook
- Post Office Account Statement/Passbook
- Ration Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government Photo ID cards/ service photo identity card issued by PSU
- Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Water bill (not older than 3 months)
- Telephone Landline Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Property Tax Receipt (not older than 1 year)
- Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months)
- Insurance Policy
- Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by registered Company on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by Recognized Educational Instruction on letterhead
- NREGS Job Card
- Arms License
- Pensioner Card
- Freedom Fighter Card
- Kissan Passbook
- CGHS / ECHS Card
- Certificate of Address having photo issued by MP or MLA or Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead
- Certificate of Address issued by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas)
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Vehicle Registration Certificate
- Registered Sale / Lease / Rent Agreement
- Address Card having Photo issued by Department of Posts
- Caste and Domicile Certificate having Photo issued by State Govt.
- Disability ID Card/handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT Governments/Administrations
- Gas Connection Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Passport of Spouse
- Passport of Parents(in case of Minor)
- Allotment letter of accomodation issued by Central/State Govt. of not more than three years old
- Marriage Certificate issued by the Govt, containing address