For the purposes of receiving pension, the submission of Life Certificates are mandatory. While physical copies can be submitted, the government's digital initiative 'Jeevan Pramaan' enables the submission of a Aadhaar-based Digital Life Certificate online.
Existing mode of accepting physical certificate at branches is also still available. The customer can choose the mode most convenient to them.
What is a Jeevan Pramaan or a Digital Life Certificate?
Life certificates are to be submitted once a year in the month of November to the bank/post office to certify the pensioner is alive. On failure to submit it by November, the pension payment will not be made.
Jeevan Praman is an Aadhaar-based digital life certificate that was launched by the government on 10 November 2014. The process of securing the certificate is digitalised and since it is Aadhaar based, the pensioner is required to seed their pension account with their Aadhaar number to make the authentication of the life certificate possible.
This service makes is easy to avail it without having to physically visit the Pension Disbursing Agency. Alternatively one can also visit the Jeevan Pramaan's designated centres.
Once generated electronically, it gets stored in the Life Certificate Repository.
The Pension Disbursing Agency (bank or post office) will be able to get these online.
To get a Jeevan Pramaan life certificate online, a pensioner requires:
- Aadhaar number
- Mobile number
- Aadhaar number must be linked to your account with the pension disbursing agency (bank or post office account)
There are two ways to do it, either visit an authorized centre or download a digital copy.
How to get a Jeevan Praman life certificate online?
- The first step is to get yourself registered.
- You will have to download the client software which works on Windows (PC) and Android devices from this link. The link to download the software will be sent to you via e-mail.
- Provide necessary information like Aadhaar number, Pension Payment Order, Bank Account, Bank Name and your mobile number.
- Aadhaar authentication will have to be performed on the software.
- After a successful authentication a SMS acknowledgement is sent to your mobile number including your Jeevan Pramaan Certificate ID.
- The certificates are stored in the Life Certificate Repository for making it available any time and any where for the pensioner and the Pension Disbursing Agency.
You can download a PDF copy of the certificate for you records from the Jeevan Pramaan website by providing the Jeevan Pramaan ID or Aadhaar number.
The Pension Disbursing Agency can also access the Life Certificate from the Jeevan Pramaan website, and download the same. Banks and post offices have an e-delivery facility that enables the electronic delivery of the Life Certificate without manual intervention.
How to get a Jeevan Praman life certificate offline?
- To get a physical copy or a digital copy from an authorized centre, locate your nearest CSCs, Banks or Government offices from the 'locate centre' option in the Jeevan Pramaan website (jeevanpramaan.gov.in). These centres will also perform Aadhaar based biometric authentication.
- Get yourself registered at one of the Jeevan Pramaan Centres by providing necessary information like Aadhaar number, Pension Payment Order, Bank Account, Bank Name and your mobile number.
- You will have to provide your biometric information like fingerprint or iris to authentic yourself.
Before Jeevan Pramaan, pensioners would visit the bank branch physically and submit the life certificate as per the bank's procedure. For example, this is SBI's life certificate form. The system still exists. The Jeevan Pramaan was introduced as an additional alternative to enable online submission. Physical Life Certificate will continue to be accepted from pensioners if preferred by him / her.
The pension will have to submit details of Aadhaar No., Present Address, contact number, PAN, spouse's date of birth (with proof) and email address (to receive monthly pension slip) to the bank.